Practical Progressive Enhancement – my talk at the Future of Web Apps London 2010Tuesday, October 5th, 2010
I just got back from the Future of Web Apps in London where I was asked to fill in a talk quickly. The topic I picked was progressive enhancement and HTML5 as a re-boot of web development as we know it. Here are the slides, the audio recording and the links mentioned in the deck for you to check out. I really think that the concept of rendering JS server-side with node and re-using the same widgets client-side is an amazing step forward in not blocking out users whilst maintaining a single code base.
The Slides are available on Slideshare:
View more presentations from Christian Heilmann.
You can find the audio recording on archive.org.
Links mentioned in the talk
- Easy YouTube and its effects Video 1 and Video 2
- London Tube strike map
- Petition to the government to upgrade from IE6 and respons
- Geomaker and source
- UK House Prices
- Yahoo Firehose research
- Rendering YUI widgets server and client side and video of Dav Glass explaining the details
- YUI supporting capability-based loading and CSS transitions
- Problems of scaling web sites and redesigns
- Douglas Crockford: Loopage