Well it is the beginning of 2010 so time to talk about some resolutions.
- As I am planning to get a lighter laptop to lug around my main resolution will go down from 1400×900 to 1280×800 – unless Apple will change that for the new 13”.
- My place is a mess – the reason is that I am never here. So my resolution for this year is:
** De-clutter my flat
** Throw away (or bring to the charity shop or give to @pekingspring to sell at the Amnesty International boot sales) stuff I don’t need – and that is a lot. I have unpacked moving crates from my flat back in Germany (1999).
** Use my flat more (I lived here for 4 years and yet have to use the oven!)
** Work more from home
- Check my financial situation and what is working for me – I have money and I have a few insurances and private pension plans but I got no clue what they are any more. Also, I have quite a few shares and I am totally oblivious to what they are worth and what I can do with them.
- Write another book
- Organize (or help organize) another small conference
- Concentrate more on the topics of security and performance.
- Do something awesome for my parents as they need to get out of the house and have trouble traveling.
- Pick my battles instead of trying to change things that should have changed years ago but are hindered by complacency.
- I will go to Iceland this year – I have always wanted to and in 10 years in England I never managed to.
- I will also try to get to New Zealand and South Africa this year.
Interestingly enough 2009 was a very cool year for me and if I had had any resolutions last year these were the ones I was able to fulfill:
- I spoke a lot at conferences and released a lot of articles, blog posts, code and tutorials.
- I’ve reached out to audiences I hadn’t tapped beforehand (domainer conference, design agencies and museum brownbags…)
- I’ve tech-edited a book and a few chapters and I was judge at some competiions – I like doing that a lot.
- I’ve lost a lot of weight by going to the gym a lot – there’s even the outline of a 4-pack visible (yes I know there is something wrong with this).
- I’ve been to Japan – something I always wanted to do (shame I was sick when I was there). I’ve also been to Australia which is something I always wanted to.
I think this is about it – I am back to bed now.