Just having spent a lot of time at the amazing open hack day in Bangalore, India I found that most of the questions about starting a hack using Yahoo technology revolved around a few issues:
- How do I access data on the web/from web services?
- How do I get the location of the user and how do I analyse content for geographical locations?
- How do I access oAuth authenticated information of Yahoo?
- How do I set up PHP and where can I see errors?
So, to avoid having to repeat myself again I put together The Hackday Toolbox which contains sample code that deals with all these issues.
The hackday toolbox contains:
- An introduction to installing and using PHP with MAMP/XAMPP and debugging it
- YQLGeo for all your geo and location needs
- Demos to display YQL data
- Authenticated example to access the Yahoo Firehose
- Rendering Yahoo Geoplanet data as a map
The toolbox is BSD licensed, so if you want to add Java/Ruby/Python/Heskell/Pascal/Logo/Fortran/6502 Assembly code examples, please do so.
I put my hack in a box…