⚡️Career advice, AI ethics and inspiring the next dev generation to care about the web at Web UnleashedFriday, October 5th, 2018 at 11:48 pm
I just got back from Toronto, Canada, where I attended Web Unleashed a FITC organised three day conference with fifty talks in four tracks. Despite this size, the event felt cozy and not too spread out. There was a lot to learn and a truly stellar line-up of speakers to choose from.
Originally I was lined up to give a workshop together with Burke Holland on developer toolchain setup, but there were not enough sign-ups, so I “only” spoke on a panel about “Life as a lead developer”, gave a talk about AI, ethics and building human interfaces and the closing keynote.
The slides of the AI and ethics talk are available here and I made a gist with all the resources I mentioned.
The closing keynote slides are also on noti.st together with the resources mentioned in that one.
The resources mentioned in this one are here:
- Space Jam Web Site
- Creating Users, not Addicts
- European Internet Copyright Laws – link tax and upload filter
- FCC Net Neutrality ruling
- Trump Administration sueing California
- Internet cables attacked by sharks
- Former Google chief prediciting two internets: the US one, and a Chinese one
- China shutting down thousands of web sites
- China’s digital dictatorship
- Beaker Browser and Dat Project
- Tim Berners Lee’s Solid and Inrupt and the Fast Company Coverage
- Mozilla Developer Network
- Can I use
- Front End Checklist
- Visual Studio Code
- Webhint Visual Studio Code extension
I will write more about the subject of the closing keynote soon here.
I want to thank everyone involved in this event and hope that people learned something from my efforts. It is impressive how many great speakers were present and I had a wonderful time with some of the most relaxed parties.
I also realised that no matter how hard I try, I will never have the same presence as the devrel expert at the Shopify booth: