The first three days of this week were kind of a blur to me as I was back in Germany, specifically in Cologne for the Flash Forum Konferenz 2007 meeting the creme de la creme of German Flashers and monkeying around in front of my Powerpoint.
I thought I was provoking and edgy having had several mild profanities in my slides but I realized that I am no match for Saban Ünlü, who built a really cool Flex based live video chat system for the adult entertainment market and managed to show around 200 Flash Developers in the audience the admin tool of the system with live data. Live data in this case meant lots of ladies on webcams in various states of nudity, performance and application of props. That said, he also showed how the system works and lots and lots of code. I’d have alternated code and adult entertainment in five minute intervals to keep the audience’s engagement up.
I’d have to thank the organizers of the conference and I was very proud to be the odd one out among and amazing array of great presenters, examples and ideas.
Here’s what I took away as action items for myself:
- Get a Wiimote and play around with WiiFlash and Papervision 3D
- Badger both Saban, Sven and maybe some others to come around my office for Tech Talks
- Get new Moo cards
- Always sit around hotel lobbies with my stickered laptop (I got to know someone who runs ImageLoop that way and he took Aral Balkan and me to a very nice Sushi place and then a lot of glasses of Wine in a 39th floor restaurant)
- Look more into Flash and how we can make it work with and improve the user experience of Ajax apps.
- Maybe start a career as live translator as this is what I did for Aral during some talks.
It was great to meet you all and I am looking forward to seeing all the photos and interviews I gave and had taken.
Now go out there and hug a Flash Developer, they are nice folk and do need to stand up more for themselves.